Jennifer Kolb, LCSW; Social Work Consultant, reviewed and determined the course meets requirements for continuing education in the field of social work. This course is appropriate for masters and clinical level social workers. Jennifer graduated with a Master’s degree in Social Work with a specialization in Marriage and Family Therapy from the University of Louisville, Kentucky. She specializes in school-based psychotherapy with children and adolescents, as well as licensing exam coaching and preparation .
: This document was developed in agreement with the Office for Victims of Crime, Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice. This guide compiles information from multiple quantitative and qualitative datasets as well as collected experiences from transgender survivors. Content was last updated in 2014.
The community includes transgender people of all ages, races, ethnicities, religions, and socioeconomic backgrounds and also comprises a wide variety of gender-related experiences. Statistics documenting transgender people's experience of sexual violence indicate shockingly high levels of sexual abuse and assault. One in two transgender individuals are sexually abused or assaulted at some point in their lives.
This course addresses some of the challenges that affect the work of professionals who serve transgender victims of sexual violence and offers tips to help improve services, including:
- transgender-specific issues as they relate to sexual assault,
- issues involving the perpetrators of sexual assault against transgender people, and
- procedural issues as they relate to sexual assault involving transgender victims..
- Delineate the statistics on the scope of sexual assault within the transgender community.
- Summarize victim issues for professionals who work with transgender victims of sexual violence.
- Summarize perpetrator issues for professionals who work with transgender victims of sexual violence.
- Summarize standard practices for professionals who work with transgender victims of sexual violence.
Statistics of Transgender Individuals and Community
Sexual Assault in the Transgender Community
Facts and figures
Gender identity and sexual assault
Recommendations for those Serving Victims
Course materials can be downloaded or read online. To receive a certificate of completion, you must complete a multiple-choice post-test with a score of 75% or better and complete a course evaluation.
- Academic Review is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Academic Review maintains responsibility for this program and its contents.
- Academic Review, #1145, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Academic Review maintains responsibility for this course. ACE provider approval period: 1/10/2017 – 1/10/2020. Social workers completing this course receive four hours continuing education credits.
Continuing Education licensing requirements vary by jurisdiction, are not always well defined and may even supersede the rules of a national accreditation organization. We recommend you contact the applicable state licensing board or accrediting organization for the latest regulations and specific requirements of your state when considering our programs for Continuing Education credit.
Chief Learning Officer, Graham Taylor, manages all grievances and will acknowledge, investigate and remedy grievances. Response to grievances will be made in writing within 30 days. Please send an email to Graham Taylor email@example.com. To learn more, click here for more information.
Customer satisfaction is important to us. If you are unsatisfied for any reason, please send your complaint or questions in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. You’re entitled to a refund if your request is sent within seven days of purchase and prior to starting the course's CE post-test. If it has been more than seven days since the purchase date and you are not satisfied with your online course for any reason, you may switch to any other online course of equal or lesser value.
Accommodations for Disabilities
To request accommodation; please contact our office at 1-800-225-3444 or email email@example.com.